MINUTES OF THE GENERAL BODY MEETING HELD ON
23 APRIL 2014
A meeting of the general body of SSI was held on 23 April 2014 at 2:30 pm in the Committee Room, Institute of Life Long Learning, University of Delhi. Twenty five members attended the meeting.
1. The meeting began with a welcome by the President, Prof. Shormishtha Panja, followed by a brief AV presentation by her recounting the activities of the Society in the last two terms under the outgoing Executive Committee. She particularly referred to the two new initiatives of the team, the blog cum website and the annual intercollegiate drama competitions, besides the national and international seminars during this period. Prof. Panja thanked all Executive members as well as all SSI members for their support.Shakespeare Society of India marchb2014-1
2. The report for the year 2013-14 was presented by the Secretary, Dr. Nita N Kumar, who thanked all SSI members for their support to the outgoing EC.
3. The budget for the year 2013-14 was presented by the Treasurer, Ms. Nivedita Basu.
4. Dr. Poonam Trivedi’s mail with regard to the election procedure of the SSI was put up by the Secretary and it was decided that the mail would be forwarded to the incoming EC for due consideration. It was pointed out by the members that her reference to SSI members being “excluded” from the voting process was inaccurate since all members are informed a month in advance of elections.
5. The President invited the Election Officer, Prof. R. W. Desai to conduct the elections.
6. The Election Officer informed the members that six nominations were received by him in sealed envelopes, which he proceeded to open in front of the members.
The list of nominations is as below:
1. President: Prof. Jonathan Gil Harris
2. Vice President: Prof. Supriya Chaudhuri
3. Secretary: Dr. Vikram Chopra
4. Treasurer: Ms. Anavisha Banerjee
5. Executive Member: Dr. Harriet Raghunathan
6. Executive Member: Dr. Shashi Khurana
The Election Officer reported that all nominations were in order and all candidates were elected unopposed.
7. The entire set of documents pertaining to the period of 23 April 2011 till date was handed over to the incoming Secretary, Dr. Vikram Chopra by the outgoing Secretary, Dr. Nita N Kumar. The President, Prof. Shormishtha Panja, announced that she would hand over the documents in her possession to the incoming President.
8. The business part of the meeting having concluded, the members were treated to a video of a performance by the students of Jesus and Mary College of a scene from Twelfth Night entitled “The Gulling of Malvolio.” The students had performed this scene at the SSI Intercollegiate Drama Competition held on 5 February 2014. This was followed by a live performance by the Lady Shri Ram College team that had won the best team trophy at the drama competition. The student performances were planned as a special tribute to the 450th year of Shakespeare’s birth.
9. The meeting came to an end with the President thanking all the members and inviting them to a repast.
Minutes of the General Body Meeting held on 23 April 2013
A General Body Meeting of the SSI was held on 23 April 2013 in the Committee Room, ILLL, University of Delhi at 3 pm. 17 Members attended the meeting.
The following business was conducted at the meeting:
- The meeting began with a welcome by the President, Prof. Shormishtha Panja. She pointed out that the present team was now entering into the last year of its tenure and noted with satisfaction that the past year was a very productive one with an Annual Intercollegiate Drama Competition, the third in the series, and an International Seminar.
- The meeting was adjourned briefly and reconvened after five minutes because of the lack of quorum as pointed out by the Vice-President.
- The report for the year 2012-13 was presented by the Secretary, Dr. Nita N. Kumar.
- The Treasurer, Ms Nivedita Basu, presented the audited accounts of the Society for the financial year 2012-13. The General Body approved the accounts.
- The Meeting came to an end with the President thanking all members.
- After a break, during which refreshments were served, Professor Tillottama Daswani gave a talk on “Marathi Translations of Shakespeare.” Prof Daswani delivered a very lively talk and such was her familiarity with the theme that she spoke extempore, interspersing the talk with reminiscences about her professors at the University of Bombay who were also renowned translators of Shakespeare. She spoke about a wide range of issues: how the translators struggled with finding the Marathi equivalent of different registers of speech in Shakespeare, such as the working class speech; how the plays were occasionally sanitized in their translation; new types of versification that had to be created for Shakespeare in Marathi; the part played by music; about men playing female roles (eg. Bal Gandharva) that was similar to the stage practice in Shakespeare’s time; the use of Shakespeare for political protest which would otherwise not have escaped censorship. Interesting bits of historical details added further interest to her lecture, such as the fact that Shriram Lagoo suffered a heart attack on stage while playing Lear, and this was to be his last appearance on stage. The talk was greatly appreciated and was followed by a lively discussion.
Minutes of the General Body Meeting held on 23 April 2012
A General Body Meeting of the SSI was held on 23 April 2012 at 2:30 pm in Room No 56, Arts Faculty, University of Delhi.
The following business was conducted at the meeting:
- The meeting began with a welcome by the President, Prof. Shormishtha Panja.
- The report for the year 2011-12 was read out by the Secretary, Dr. Nita N. Kumar.
- The budget for the year 2011-12 was presented by the Treasurer, Ms. Nivedita Basu.
- It was decided that only Rs. 30,000 would be kept in the Savings Account and the rest of the money would be put in Fixed Deposits.
- The members were requested to give suggestions for activities during the year. The suggestions included play-reading sessions and a picnic.
- The members appreciated the Drama competition organized by the society and offered a few ideas to make it better. Among the suggestions were the following: 1) that the winning team be given a small cash prize, 2) that the judges be requested to distribute the prizes widely amongst the participants, and to ensure this, formal guidelines be given to the judges, 3) that more categories be created for prizes, and 4) that the quality of the certificates be improved.
- Dr. Poonam Trivedi was requested to deliver the annual lecture. The subject of her talk was “Singing to Shakespeare: Songs of Omkara.”
- Refreshments were served and the meeting came to an end with the President thanking the members.
Following are some of the highlights of the General Body Meeting held on 23 April 2011:
Elections to all the positions in the Executive Committee:
Prof R. W. Desai was the Election Officer. The following were elected unopposed:
President: Prof Shormishtha Panja
Vice President: Prof. Rajiva Verma
Secretary: Dr. Nita N. Kumar
Treasurer: Ms. Nivedita Basu
Executive Committee Members: Dr. Vikram Chopra, Ms. Davinder Mohini Ahuja and Dr. Vandana Agrawal
The term of office of the Executive Committee is three years.
A highlight of the General Body meeting was the unveiling of this blog-cum-website. Since this site is primarily a blog, we hope and expect that members would post their comments, information, and queries freely. At the end of every page, you would find a Leave a Reply space. We plan to update the site regularly with information about and reports on our activities.
- The Membership Fee was raised to Rs. 2000/- (Life Membership)
- It was decided that email would become the only means of communication with the members of the society. The method of sending information about GBMs by surface mail would soon be discontinued as it is very cumbersome and expensive. We are doing our best to update the email ids of all our members. We will soon be posting a list of members whose emails ids are not available with us. We request all members to please check that list and help us with information. However, it was also decided that if members wish to receive information by surface mail, they would have to send in a request with their updated postal address.
- It was decided that Prof. Stuart Sillars of the University of Bergen would be inducted into the Advisory Board.